The construction of the harbour was a tremendous and dangerous engineering achievement. The shingle bar with its stone bridge at the mouth of the south west facing valley had to be removed so ships could enter. Construction took about 14 years and was completed in 1825. The inner harbour which was completed in 1858. The huge timbers (baulk) that seal the inner harbour in bad storms are still in use today.